I will tell you right now-
I am not a runner...nor do I really love to run... never have! and not sure I ever will..
But I do have a desire to be active and healthy, and always thought it would be fun to do a race with Drew.
And I recently saw a quote that said...
"Run While You Can!"
When I showed a little bit of interest and was looking at when local races were, we found one that supported the food bank. Oh and it was only 3 short weeks away...
So, I took a few jogs around the neighborhood, and even went to the gym and ran on the treadmill a few times to prep myself...
However, running on a treadmill is much different then an pavement and in the cold...
Race day I dressed warm and made sure to have a good breakfast.
Part way into the first mile my tummy started cramping- i am guessing it was too much of a breakfast...(see--- not an experienced runner)
I have yet to run a whole mile at one time, there needs to be a little bit of walking in the middle- so my plan was to do the 5k in less than 45 min...
Drew said we should aim for 36 min.
We crossed at 41.06
For those of you that run.. you may laugh at our time...
but you know what?
I did it! And I did it with very little training..
I was filled with emotion as I crossed the finish line, and I am thankful that I had my sunglasses on to hide that.
Thanks Drew for pushing me, encouraging me and even holding my hand thru parts of our run. Yes we could have gone faster and it was a little embarrassing when we were passed by a lady pushing a stroller and then again when we were passed by runners that ran the 10k... but you know... that is okay...
I participated in a 5k and crossed the finish line alive!
Will there be another race???
maybe, when it's warmer!
2 comments:
I am way impressed Heather! Especially when you didn't train very much. Way to go!
Way to go. I've been thinking of trying one for the first time in April but then again we will be moving so maybe not this April :).
Post a Comment